I love chocolate cakes! I mean who doesn’t? Right? But the calories and the guilt that comes after it is the worst. So I was looking for a recipe to try at home where I could replace the Flour with something healthier or fibrous would be even better. And to replace the refined sugar with something less harmful to our systems and of course the most disgraceful of all ‘The Refined Sunflower Oil’
After trying out two different recipes, I found the best recipe for the moistest, softest and the tastiest cake (at least out of the ones that I have tried) where I have used Quinoa as the base of the cake.
So do give this alternative a try and let me know how you liked it. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as my friends and family did.
- 2 cups cooked organic Quinoa ( I used Organic India)
- 1/3 Cup milk (any preferred milk)
- 4 whole Organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted organic coconut oil
- 1 cup or more (depending upon your desired sweetness) Organic Jaggery Powder. You can also use coconut sugar.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 bar of Lindt 90% Dark chocolate (Optional)
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 and meanwhile line the cake pan with oil, butter or parchment paper as you like.
- Step 2: In a food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients together until smooth for about 25-30 seconds.
- Step3: Put the mixture in the cake pan and bake for 20 minutes first. And then put a fork or toothpick in the cake to see how much more time is needed. If it comes out clean then its ready to eat but if there is wet residue on the fork then bake it for 5 more minutes.
- Step 4: When baked, allow it to cool on the counter. Decorate the cake with a frosting if you like or you can just sprinkle some icing sugar on top as I did.
And your delicious, soft and moist cake is ready to eat.
The cake tastes good with Alphanso Mangoes too if you like the combination of fruits and chocolate or you can even serve it hot with a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream too (Sugar-Free or not)
Do try it out and let me know in the comments below 🙂